Monday, June 17, 2024

My Trip to Upstate New York


 By Nate Feldman

Background: I came to upstate New York to bring my daughters, Sara and Sofia, to their mother who lives in Clarence, a suburb of Buffalo.  The girls go to school in Berwyn throughout the year, but they spend summers with their mother, step-dad, and two siblings.  I agreed to drive the girls up here after I was permitted to have them for Father's Day.  

Day 1:

We left Berwyn around 8 AM and headed up I-476 North which connects with I-81 north, taking us into New York around Binghamton.  I-81 heads into downtown Syracuse, which is famous for its university.  The girls and I stopped for lunch in the downtown area at a restaurant called Panini.  I ordered a vegetable panini, and they had a Chicken Caesar Salad wrap.  

After finishing lunch, I headed out of Syracuse on I-690 West and connected with I-90 West, which takes you into Buffalo.  I got off the highway before Buffalo to take the girls to their mother's home in Clarence.  Then, I headed into downtown Buffalo, where I am spending the night at a hotel on Delaware Avenue.

Delaware Avenue by coincidence plays a very important role in American history.  William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States, was assassinated in Buffalo in 1901.  He was shot on September 6 and died eight days later on September 14 due to complications from the bullet wound that was initially thought not to be life-threatening.  The place where he died is on Delaware Avenue.  His then Vice-President, Theodore Roosevelt, took the oath of office on Delaware Avenue as well and became the 26th President.  The spot where he became President is now a National landmark.  Theodore, AKA "Teddy" Roosevelt, became one of the most iconic Presidents in American history.  

In the evening, I jogged along Delaware Avenue to Delaware Park, a beautiful recreational area beside a lake, sports fields, and trails through the woods.  For dinner, I ordered Chile Poblanos and a Guacamole Salad from the Taqueria Ranchos Dos Mexican restaurant on Delaware Avenue.  

Downtown Syracuse, NY

Statue of Theodore Roosevelt at the Inauguration Site

Day 2:

I stayed in Buffalo until 12 PM and then headed south towards Hammondsport, a small town along Lake Keuka, one of the Finger Lakes in New York.  Along the way, I had a couple of stops.  

I bought homemade maple syrup at Kehl's Farm.  Upstate New York is well-renowned for its maple syrup, and Kehl's has been well-publicized.   

I stopped for lunch at the Vertical Cafe in Warsaw.  I ordered a signature salad with almonds, craisins, and blue cheese and had coffee and a gluten free cookie.  The cafe has a nice homey feel, and you can sit on leather seats and enjoy a book while having your meal.  

Across the street from the cafe is Homemade Treasures, an antique store that has all kinds of vintage furniture, books, movies, paintings, records, tape cassettes and more.  I bought some books and a mug.  I enjoyed this shop and highly recommend it.  

From there, I drove through the town of Mount Morris, where I briefly stopped to film a scene for a movie I have been working on.  Then, it was onto Hammondsport.  I checked-in at my hotel along the 54 state highway and then spent the late afternoon and early evening at Depot Park along the shore of Lake Keuka.  You can relax here and take in the breathtaking view of the lake.  You also can go swimming in the lake in the roped-off section allotted for swimmers.  I don't recall the last time I went lake swimming, so it was an amazing experience.  

I ordered things from the Hammondsport Grocery Store in town, a local supermarket, and had dinner at the hotel.  

The swimming area at Depot Park, Lake Keuka


  
Homemade Treasures in Warsaw, NY

Day 3:

I spent the morning in Hammondsport.  For breakfast, I went to Vern's Bakery.  They make freshly made pastries each day.  I ordered a blueberry scone, croissants filled with spinach and feta, and some coffee.  The owner said that the croissants had been made the day before, so he was giving them away for free, something I really appreciated.  

I left around noon and headed East on I-86 towards Binghamton.  Before Binghamtom, I-86 connects with I-81.  In the Binghamton area, I stopped at Otsiningo Park, a very scenic place with a walking trail along a river, multiple picnic areas, playgrounds, and sports fields.  According to a sign, the area was inhabited by Native American tribes previously, and that the name the area was called Otsiningo by the tribes living there.  

After finishing my picnic, I walked around, practiced hitting some softball on a sports field, and then headed back onto I-81 and back into Pennsylvania.  

A pond at Otsiningo Park




A sign with the history of Otsiningo Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Performing at Make Music Upper Perk 2024

By Nate Feldman The keyboard at the Chibi Cafe  For the third consecutive year, I performed music at the Make Music Upper Perk festival, whi...